Several years ago a buddy of mine introduced me to the concept of sitting at the bar and the bar only. We would go out any night of the week and I would always try to get a table for two. While doing this he was already headed for the bar looking for two seats. Even if the bar was busy he would stand and wait until two seats became available. The true gentlemen that he was he always offered to buy me a beer and that kept me quiet during the wait. One day I finally had to ask what was his obsession with sitting at the bar. He only said, " just watch." Just watch? WTF does that mean? I quickly learned by the second time after being told to "just watch" just how fascinating sitting at the bar could be.
For one, the service is faster in getting my hands on my next favorite beer. While sipping this beer I can enjoy the sight of the many taps that are available for my choosing or all the bottles. You can also get the TVs changed to any game that you want. I also enjoy watching bartenders pour beer from the tap. It may seem boring but there is a true art form to pouring the perfect beer. A bar that really has their act together will pour the beer in the proper glass and that is always a sight to behold.
There is never a shortage of interesting people. There are some days I prefer to sit at the bar alone only to be engaged in an awesome conversation with the person next to or across from me. By far, though, is the people watching. Here is a list of people that have always amused me or me and friends while enjoying a time at the bar.
1. Couple that is on a first or second date and clearly one is not interested in the other. You see that this going on and would love to tell the unsuspecting daters that this situation is going nowhere fast.
2. Suburbanites who rarely go out but suddenly have a Friday or Saturday night that is free and clear. This group is pretty easy to spot. They are usually the drunkest and loudest people in the bar and are dressed out of their age range.
3. The typical situation of a guy trying to pick up a girl and she is with a friend. This usually results in the friend being polite and talking to the guy and the ignored friend picking up her phone to amuse herself. The ignored friend will glance up in annoyance every once in awhile hoping the male suiter is gone and to her dismay he isn't. Depending on her mood she could totally blow it for the guy by pulling the I'm ready to go even though they are on drink number one. Or, she may suck it up and take one for the one team.
Advice: Guy trying to pick up friend needs to buy her friend a drink to keep her occupied for at least ten minutes. Wingman of guy also may need to step in and occupy her friend. Isn't that the point of a wingman. If neither of these occur your chances of hooking up with the friend go way down!
4. Loud, obnoxious, know it all guy out with his buddies. Need I say more.
5. Loud, obnoxious girl looking for attention. Need I say more.
6. Sports fan that is drunk and cursing at the TV. He is also that know it all when it comes to all sports including lawn bowling.
7. Quiet guy/gal that is at the local bar everyday, knows all the bartenders and his/her drink is served continuously for the two to three hours that they are there. They are usually pretty friendly and will gladly chat up any bar patron.
8. Bartender accidentally makes an extra shot and doesn't want it to go to waste. Bottoms up!
9. Bartender pours the wrong beer and needs to find it a new home.
10. Bartenders that introduce them self to me, shake my hand and remember my name will gladly get a generous tip from me.
Side note: I just sat in the dining area at a local bar in Cumming.Usually, I sit at the bar and one my favorite bartenders paid me a visit to ask why I wasn't at the bar. I'm done being accommodating when it comes to me and my bar. Unless it is a birthday dinner, family dinner or I'm with kids (very rare but happens) you will find me at the bar.
Avid fan of awesome beer and awesome people. Anyone who has good taste in beer is all right in my book.